Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What would you cut back on?

This post was inspired by everydayadventuresinthecity, who asked recently:
"Is anyone else cutting back in "fun spending?" If so, where are you making adjustments in your budget? Or where is the one place you really don't want to cut back?"

I'm in a different situation to those people who have lost their jobs or who fear losing them. I've been living without a job for about 8 months, after moving here to the States on savings. But the economy is limiting the jobs available now that I'm looking for one! And the savings aren't going to last forever.

I've cut back on: Buying dvds, cds, books. I'd gotten into the habit of buying dvds as soon as they came out, just to watch them, and then half the time I didn't end up watching them for a really long time. I don't know why, but I just had to have them right way! I am quite a consumer at heart. I haven't bought a dvd in a long time. I've been watching a lot of movies on cable. On top of my regular cable, I pay for HBO ($5 a month for 12 months) and the Encore tier (also $5 a month).

I need to cut back on: Groceries. I live alone for the first time and I don't like cooking in my tiny, useless kitchen, and so I am not very organised with my shopping and eating. I'll frequently buy prepackaged meals, and I'll often let food go to waste because I don't use it before it goes bad.

I don't want to cut back on: TV. I've heard that some people get rid of their cable. Not me! I love my cable and DVR. It's such a novelty to me because in Australia I had 5 channels on television. I love tv. Also, my cell phone. I think I'm on the cheapest plan possible for my iphone but it still isn't cheap,. However, I'm on a contract for the first time in my life and I wouldn't want to give up my iphone anyway.

What about you?

xoxo
Mandy

p.s I'm glad that so many of you like Lily Allen! I have listened to her new album once and haven't been enamoured with any of the other songs yet, but I'm loving "The Fear" more and more every time I hear it!

9 comments:

Laila P said...

Interesting, I might have to do this.

I like some of Lily Allen's old songs, but I'm not too keen on the new material yet.

Amanda said...

Nic - Are they overplaying her new single over there? I was in London when her first cd came out, and discovered her by reading press. I don't listen to the radio, and after I'd discovered her music I heard it everywhere on radio in stores etc! Made me thankful for the millionth time that I don't listen to radio because I feel like they ruin some of the great songs by overplaying them.

Andhari said...

I hear youuu,i would be crazy if I have to cut back on cable too:)

Erin said...

We're those crazy people who cut their cable :-)

We save $80/month and watch all the shows we love on the internet (for free!) when it's convenient. Our HD antenna picks up 10 channels, so we watch regular broadcast on TV.

Erin said...

Oh, and I quit buying CDs and books and borrow them from the library. That way if they suck I didn't waste money on them - and if I REALLY love something I'll go ahead and buy it...

Heather said...

Hmm... we've cut back on entertainment and frivolous purchases. I definitely need to cut back on spending for my girls, but I just can't help myself sometimes!

Miss JC said...

I can't give up my cable either. NO way. Do you have DVR too? I can't STAND watching commercials anymore after getting DVR and recording all of my shows! I'm such a brat..haha! :)

Amanda said...

lolita - So glad to know I'm not the only one! ;)

Erin - Good for you! I forget that most of my favorite shows are actually on regular broadcast tv (aren't they? shows on the CW/ABC?). I've never watched tv in the States without cable.

Heather - I don't blame you for buying things for your girls. I can't help spending money on kids. I spent about $200 on kid Christmas presents this year. And just today I came home from Ross with 2 tops for Princess. I'm scared of what I'll be like once I have my own kids!!

Miss JC - Yes! DVR is my friend. I never watch shows when they're actually on - commercials are such a waste of time.

Anniebanannie said...

Hey! I found you through Imp.Add and thought I'd stop in for a visit!

Anyway...I know what you mean about cable, how some people can go without-NO WAY! Not here. Never. Ever. We cut back by hardly ever eating out and living quite a boring life, or at least what some would consider boring. We're pretty much homebodies so it doesn't matter to us!

Great blog!

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com