Thursday, June 25, 2009

"born to amuse, to inspire, to delight."

R.I.P Michael Jackson
:(

I was shocked today when I read that Michael Jackson had died. When I checked my email before getting ready to go out, I'd seen on msn.com that he'd been rushed to hospital (that's all the headline said at that point) and I didn't even click on it because I figured it was just exhaustion or something, getting ready for his tour. But then as I was leaving I read on twitter, then facebook, all of the updates from people. It's so out of the blue.. he was so young, and leaves behind his children and other family.

I've always been a bit behind the ball when it came to pop music. My parents never really listened to anything other than classical music. Even nowadays I don't listen to radio so often when I discover something people will tell me it is in the top 10 and overplayed on radio stations. So I really fell in love with Michael Jackson's music with this song:


"Childhood" from the HIStory album. My brother and I went to see Free Willy 2 and I made him sit through the credits because I loved the song. I didn't even know who it was by! I then begged for the cds for Christmas that year (1995). I ended up getting the cassette tapes (we barely had any cds at that point) and I listened to those soooo much. I still remember several conversations I had about MJ with several select new friends who were also huge fans, when I started high school the following year. Sure, I had heard Michael's music before then. We often did our primary school aerobics to "Black Or White":



But i hadn't grown up listening to his music, and he never made such an impact on me before as he made with that 2 disc album. For everyone though, his music was and is so well known and popular. It's been used in movies, those that first sprang to mind were Center Stage ("The Way You Make Me Feel"):

and 13 Going On 30 ("Thriller"):



Within the last few years I fell back in love with the dancier side of Michael's music. I, like the boys I took care of, loved the new release of "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'" ft. Akon:

But it is honestly his (probably less popular style) ballads that are my very favorites. I loved "Little Susie" for a long time. Also, "Earth Song":

And, OF COURSE, "Heal The World":

Rest In Peace MJ. You and your amazing gifts will be missed.

xoxo
Mandy

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

It truly is sad, but I feel like I'm the only one who is equally saddened by Farrah's death. I LOVED Charlie's Angels.

Andhari said...

I couldn't believe it the first time either. So sad that he left this soon.

Jennifer Leigh said...

Awwww I know its so sad. Its probably lame, but this is the first time I have felt something from a death of someone I never knew. MJ was a huge part of my life growing up, my first concert, all my favorite music, I feel weird that I'm torn up over it. Its cool that you got to love him even though your parents didn't. Don't worry about radio, it sucks now, find music on your own, its better that way!

Anonymous said...

Its really sad, but i think by the end of it they kinda overdid his death, i know everyone wanted to know what happened but for a while there there wasnt any other news

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com