Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Everybody needs good neighbours

It's always hard to know how to start a project like this. I expect that eventually I will do some sort of 'introduction post', but I'd rther begin by just jumping into something. Let's see....

I'm currently sitting in my living room watching Star! on my DVR. And the neighbours below me are playing super loud music as usual. It's always around this time of day that they somehow decide it's okay to blast music with heavy bass & drum beats. I'm all for music, and I understand that because I'm living in an apartment without good insulation I am going to hear noises from other apartments. But these particular people really do play it too loudly. It began about a month after I moved in (my theory is that they got a new soundsystem) and I made so many complaints to management after asking them to please keep it down, and although they turned it down that day it was back up to screaming loud the following day. Management originally seemed nice and apologetic about the whole thing and insisted that they had called the neighbours to tell them to turn it down. Rightly so, I thought, because what they are doing breaks the lease agreement, which clearly states that there must be "no loud music at any time".

Well, it turns out that management, although they said they'd called them, had never actually spoken to the neighbours about the noise. They had left them messages but never once did the neighbours pick up their phones or call them back. A few months ago, management basically gave up. They just said that I was going to hear noise because it's an apartment, and didn't understand me when I explained that this noise is significantly louder than the other 'regular volume' sounds that I hear from that apartment and others. So I've been having to put up with it, which is one of the biggest frustrations! This past week it has been every day that the music has been really loud. It doesn't last forever, but it's so frustrating because I never know when it's going to stop. Also, the fact that these people have been asked/told so many times that their noise is too loud and is disturbing me, and the fact that they choose to continue to make this noise is so rude!

Seriously, I am a nice person and I'm considerate (I have been so careful not to be too loud, since this is my first time living in an apartment and I'm overly aware of not bothering people) but if someone is inconsiderate or rude to me - these people have been both - I can't just ignore that!

xoxo
Mandy

0 comments:

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com