Sunday, January 25, 2009

Written yesterday, without internet access

As I write this I’m dog-sitting at a friend’s house for the day. Yes, these dogs are so precious they need a sitter for the afternoon/evening! I was a bit surprised when I learned that it wasn’t even overnight, but that’s okay. I regret the timing though. I agreed to do this about a week ago, but last night I got a text from Princess’s Dad. Princess is playing volleyball and had a game this morning and he wanted to know if I’d like to watch. I did, oh I really did. I never like to miss out on an opportunity to see her, or hang out with her family who are like family to me. But my common sense just wouldn’t allow me to accept the offer. Getting up at 6am, leaving the house at 7am, driving 45 miles, watching the game, leaving 2 hours after I get there to drive 70 miles in the other direction, dogsitting for the day, driving 40 miles home...? No. I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. Just one of the joys of living in L.A. On the plus side, today there shouldn’t have been traffic. It once took me over 3 hours to drive those 45 miles to Princess’s house!

Instead, today I’m enjoying the change of scenery and the luxury of chilling out in a house. Boy I miss houses! I currently live in an apartment for the first time in my life. Okay, there was that 8 months that I spent living in a hostel.. that was kinda worse than an apartment, but different because of the social aspect. My apartment is the first time I have ever had my own place. It’s mine! All mine! And I love it. But I hate it. Let me say right here, I never want to buy a condo. When I buy a place it’s going to be a house. What is the point of owning a condo unless you live in New York City? I struggle almost daily with the noises that I hear from other apartments. Most of the time they aren’t too loud, just very noticeable to me who is used to living in a big house with a garden and a fence around it, protecting me from the neighbours conversations, music, door slams, etc. It’s just something that I have to get used to until I (hopefully) get a job that is out of the city and I can move to a potentially more independent duplex/house in a cheaper area.

"Apartments are cages, I still don't know what is permanent, permanent."
- Emily Haines & The Soft Skeleton

xoxo
Mandy

4 comments:

Laila P said...

Dog sitting sounds like fun! And less stressful than babysitting, lol.

Heather said...

So, what brought you to LA?

Amanda said...

Emily Haines is perhaps one of the best female artists, ever. Completely underrated.

Amanda said...

PinkNic - Sometimes it is.. that day definitely was! But one weekend when I had 2 dogs, a kitten, and an un-potty-trained puppy with a broken leg... I was wishing they were kids so I could reason with them!!

Heather - I think I'll write a post with that backstory. But basically, I always wanted to live here growing up. I lived here for a year a few years ago and I love SoCal.

Amanda - Agreed! I hadn't listened to this album in ages so I forgot just how awesome she is. I saw Metric live at a club in London once.

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com